Merope. 9 Days
- MusicMerope is a new european band that met at the Rotterdam Academy of Music (CODARTS). They create a very unique chemistry between lithuanian traditional music, world, jazz instruments and electronic textures.
Haunting melodies, captivating loops and subtle harmonies flow and entangle to create the ethereal atmosphere of this CD.
- Jean Christophe Bonnafous (France) Bansuri Flute, Vocals
- Indré Jurgeleviciuté (Lithuania) Kanklés, Vocals, Tampura
- Bert Cools (Belgium) Guitars and effects
- Miguel Hiroshi (Spain) Cajón, Ghatam, Kalimba, Varied Percussion
- Marcello Windolph (Germany, Brazil) Acoustic Bass, Vocals
- SpaceMerope travelled all the way in a van from central europe to the Alpujarra
mountains south of Granada, Spain. A rugged mountainous area on the southern
side of the Sierra Nevada, home to the 3,600m peak of the Mulhacen. They set up
camp at Cortijo El Sauce. Named after the grand weeping Willow that covers the
entrance to this cortijo, (farm house). The cortijo at 1,300m is in open countryside
half way between the village of Pitres and the hamlet of Capilerilla.
The natural spring located on the farm gives life to all kinds of flowers, aromatic
herbs, medicinal plants and fruit trees including cherries, apples, pear, walnut,
It was in these surroundings of beautiful mountain light and tranquility where
Merope spent their first 5 days composing the pieces for the recording.
Then Wapapura arrived with all our solar gear to create the studio environment
in this outdoor setting where the band spent the next 4 days recording the music
heard on this album.
All of us, the musicians and recording crew, were wonderfully nourished by the
products taken from the orchard that has been under the care of Eduardo García
for the last 30 years. We would like to thank him, Pepe Jesús and Maricarmen for
all the amazing food plus the environment of calm light and fresh air that gave
birth to this music.
- EarthThis album is also connected to the reforestation project around Junglewood. A new artistic community and performance art center in early development at the edge of the Mamoni Valley Preserve, situated on the continental divide in Panama. Mamoni is a nature reserve currently encompassing more than 10,000 acres of rainforest. Co-founded by Earthtrain and Grammy Award-winning Jazz pianist, Danilo Perez. Junglewood is dedicated to providing settings conducive to artistic expression in creative harmony with nature.